Mocked by opposition fans for trampling German football traditions, RB Leipzig is in the unusual situation of not being cast as the bad guys when the Champions League death group begins on Wednesday.
Manchester: Mocked by opposing fans for trampling German football traditions, RB Leipzig is in the unusual situation of not being cast as the bad guys when the Champions League death group begins on Wednesday.
Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain will cross swords again in Group A, with both projects backed by oil-rich Middle Eastern nations still pursuing the holy grail of a first ever European Championship.
Amid the effects of falling revenues the coronavirus pandemic, which closed the stadiums for more than a year, and the failure of the European Super League project, the city of Abu Dhabi and Qatar-backed PSG were the big winners.
Uninhibited by the loss of entrance fees and encouraged by the relaxation of Financial Fair Play rules, they are the new power couple in European football, much to the annoyance vi one of the continent’s traditional powers.
PSG have reunited Lionel Messi with Neymar and avoided Real Madrid’s reported € 180 million offer for Kylian Mbappe, even though the French world champion has less than a year on his contract / p> During the transfer time, the EURO 2020 player of the tournament Gianluigi Donnarumma, Georginio Wijnaldum and the € 60 million right-back Achraf Hakimi also arrived at the Parc des Princes.
City has only made one new signing, but Breached the £ 100 million ($ 138 million) barrier for the first time in the Premier League to bring Jack Grealish to Aston Villa.
“The club states are as dangerous to the football ecosystem as the Super League “, LaLiga President Javier Tebas wrote on Twitter last week.
Supported by the energy drink giants Red Bull, Leipzig is another example of new money ruffling the feathers of the established powers.
D he Germans have not yet won a major trophy in their history, but are still deeply unpopular in their homeland because they circumvent the so-called “50 1” rule to prevent a person from having a majority stake in a club.
Red Bull, founded by the Austrian billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz, owns 49 percent, the remaining 51 percent are owned by the company’s employees.
“RB Leipzig is a pure marketing project. Created solely to strengthen the Red Bull brand, “wrote the cult football magazine 11Freunde after Leipzig reached the semi-finals of the Champions League in 2020.
However, they did not cause the shock that the City and PSG due to a completely different model in English or French football.
Instead of overwhelming Bayern Munich, Leipzig lost coach Julian Nagelsmann and key players Dayot Upamecano and Marcel Sabitzer to the Bundesliga champions in the summer.
Instead, they have other Red Bull clubs in Salzburg and New York used to recruit, develop and sell their best talents.
“It would be absurd to believe that it could work with them here,” said the former Leipzig sports director Ralf Rangnick on the occasion of the commitment five years to sign a Messi or Ronaldo. “They’re both too old and too expensive.”
Leipzig defeated PSG in the group stage last season en route to the round of 16 at the expense of Manchester United.
Expectations, this time one of the two favorites for the competition shock are limited before their trip to Manchester on Wednesday.
Under the new coach Jesse Marsch, the runner-up last season lost three of his first four league games and was beaten 4-1 by Bayern at the weekend.
“Maybe we are not ready for such big challenges,” said Marsch with a view of the city. “Anyway, we have to stay strong and believe in the process.”
PSG expects a successful start when visiting Club Brugge in the other Group A clash on Wednesday.
September 14, 2021 10:24:52 AM IST
The 36-year-old striker, who joined Real Madrid from United in 2009, has been training with his new team-mates for a few days.
Ronaldo’s return added to a squad already armed with star qualities that Solskjaer believes are now ready to compete with the best in Europe.
Portugal’s Silva has been linked to a post-season relegation from the champions after Guardiola admitted he was concerned about his playing time shortened last season.
Sign up for a weekly curated briefing on key strategic matters from around the world.