When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Liverpool star Sadio Mane has labelled the 2020/21 season as the “worst” in his professional career. The Senegalese, much like his Reds’ teammates, have found the current season particularly hard going.
He has scored just nine Premier League goals throughout the campaign and just three in 2021.
It is the lowest scoring league campaign of the 29-year-old’s entire career since his breakthrough year with Metz in 2011.
As a result, Mane has been left feeling as though the season has been his most underwhelming as a professional.
Talking to French TV channel Canal , he said: « This is the worst season of my career. I have to admit it.
« If you ask me what is wrong I will struggle to give you an answer. Personally, I don’t know.
JUST IN: Leicester have moved to the front of the queue for West Brom’s Matheus Pereira
« I have always tried to be positive, whether things are going well or badly. I question myself all the time.”
Elaborating further on his struggles during the current season, Mane also revealed that he has asked for professional help to find out the root of his problems but is confident that he can return to top form sooner rather than later.
« I even underwent a test to take a look at my body. Am I eating the right foods, or has everything changed? But they checked the test results, and everything is fine,” the Liverpool forward continued.
« I need to understand that in life there are ups and downs. I will keep on working hard – and perhaps in time this situation will pass. »
DON’T MISSLingard could be forced to stay at Manchester United [LATEST]Gary Nevilla and Jamie Carragher have named their Premier League Team of the Year [NEWS]Leicester eye swoop for West Brom’s Matheus Pereira [TRANSFERS]
The former Southampton man was at the forefront last season as the Reds lifted their debut Premier League crown.
Neither have been quite as inspiring this term with Mane’s nine goals and Liverpool enduring a huge decrease in their points total, only currently sitting on 57.
As it stands, the Merseysiders face a real battle to return to the UEFA Champions League as they sit sixth and five points behind Leicester albeit with a game in hand.
He has scored two goals in his last three Premier League games, with the Reds having won four out of their last five matches.
They next take on Manchester United at Old Trafford in a game that looks key to their hopes of finishing in the top four.
See today’s front and back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive.
– Liverpool star Sadio Mane bemoans 'worst' season of career
– Liverpool's Sadio Mane opens up on 'worst season of my career'
– Liverpool forward Sadio Mane admits to having 'worst season' of career
– Liverpool star Sadio Mane admits 'this is the worst season of my career' and reveals he underwent medical t…
– Liverpool's Sadio Mane says this is the 'Worst season' of his career – he's even undergone tests
– Liverpool's Sadio Mané admits to enduring 'worst season of my career'
– Sadio Mane Describes His Career's 'Worst' Season
– Why Mane is right 'not to panic' as Liverpool star admits to 'worst season of my career'
– Sadio Mane admits “this is the worst season of his career”
– Liverpool star underwent tests to find reason for 'worst season' ever