Ebene Magazine – Protection on the island of Manitoulin has been lifted and the suspect is still at large

0
12

Chelsea Papineau
CTV Northern Ontario Senior Digital Content Specialist

@ChelseapCTV
Contact

Jay Baxter
CTV News digital content producer in Northern Ontario

@ Jaybaxder
Contact

The police issued a public alarm while looking for 32-year-old Victor Branco, who is believed to be armed and dangerous. 8/21 May (delivered)

After several tense hours on Manitoulin Island, Ontario Provincial Police have overturned the « Protection In Place » order on the M’Chigeeng First Nation area and Highway 551.

This all comes after an emergency alert was broadcast on an « armed and dangerous » person on Saturday afternoon when officers searched for 32-year-old Victor Branco. He will remain at large from 10:15 p.m.

While police are now saying that Branco poses no risk to public safety, residents are being asked not to contact him and call 911 for information about his whereabouts.

« The OPP resources have been scaled back and the search continues, » police said in a press release on Saturday evening. « The OPP reminds the public to be aware of their personal safety at all times. »

CTV News has asked OPP for more information, but few details have been released at this point.

* UPDATE * – alert has been canceled, on-site protection has been lifted, search for person continues, no perceived risk to public safety if you have information Do not dial 9-1-1 &. ^ cb

The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) issued a public warning advising residents of Manitoulin Island, particularly in the M’Chigeeng First Nation community and the Highway 551 area, to seek shelter in a safe place if they are pursue a suspect who is believed to be armed and dangerous.

Police have confirmed the suspect is 32-year-old Victor Branco and are urging the public to avoid the area as the search is ongoing.
Police say Branco is not a M’Chigeeng citizen, but is known to the community and was banned by the Chief and Council last year.

CTV News has yet to confirm the suspect’s reason for banning the suspect, but police said it was drugs. M’Chigeeng First Nation remains in a state of social emergency when it comes to opioids.

The public alert was issued using Canada’s Alert Ready system, which uses television, radio, and LTE-connected and compatible wireless devices to send important and potentially life-saving alerts to Canadians.

This is where you will find all the latest news from your Sudbury area

Ref: https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca

QU’EN PENSEZ-VOUS?

[comment]

PUB

Laisser un commentaire, votre avis compte!

[gs-fb-comments] [comment-form]

Laisser un commentaire, votre avis compte!