Ukraine must modify its team shirt for the European Championship after UEFA on Thursday (Friday NZT) upheld part of a Russian complaint about slogans and a map that included Crimea.
The yellow-and-blue shirt design unveiled on Sunday (Monday NZT) angered Russian officials by including an outline of Ukraine’s land territory with the Crimea region which Russia annexed in 2014.
The fresh UEFA ruling allows the map to stay on the shirt, in line with international law which recognises the Russian annexation as illegal.
READ MORE: * The A-Z of the European Championships * ‘It’s setting the stage for a conflict’: Russia fumes over Ukrainian team’s Euro 2020 shirt * Euro 2020: The England stars who defected from Ireland to chase glory with Three Lions
However, one of the two slogans woven into the inside of the shirt collar – “Glory to the heroes” – must be removed. “Glory to Ukraine” can remain visible on the back of the shirt’s neck.
Russian lawmakers linked the two slogans together as being used by Ukrainian nationalists, some of whom fought with the Nazis against the Soviet Union in World War II.
UEFA said it approved “Glory to the heroes” last December, separate from the other slogan which was allowed two years earlier.
“Following further analysis, this specific combination of the two slogans is deemed to be clearly political in nature, having historic and militaristic significance,” UEFA said.
Euro 2020 kicks off on Friday (Saturday NZT), though Ukraine and Russia cannot play each other unless both advance deep into the 24-nation tournament.
A UEFA rule in place since 2014 separates the countries’ national teams and club teams to prevent them from being drawn together.
– As UEFA orders changes to Ukraine jersey, a look back at instances when politics tackled football to the ground
– Euro 2020: Ukraine told to remove 'political slogan' from shirt after Russian complaint
– Ukraine ordered to remove 'political' slogan from kit
– UEFA Demands Ukraine Make Changes To 'Political' Jersey
– Ukraine in talks with Uefa to reverse Euro 2020 shirt decision
– Ukraine's Euro 2020 shirt to keep Crimea design, lose slogan
– UEFA tells Ukraine to remove 'political' slogan from Euro 2020 jersey after Russia complains
– Ukraine to remove 'political' slogan from kit: UEFA
– Euro 2020: Uefa demands Ukraine make changes to ''political'' jersey
– Ukraine told to remove jersey slogan before Oranje match; King & Queen to attend
Ukraine,UEFA EURO 2020,Russia,Ukraine, UEFA EURO 2020, Russia,,2020 European Championship,2020 European Championships,2021 European Championship,2021 European Championships,Crimea,Crimea crisis,Crimea tensions,Crimean conflict,Euro 2020,Euro 2020 team preview,Euro 2021,European Championship,European Championship 2020,European Championship 2021,European Championships,European Championships 2020,European Championships 2021,European football,football,KickingAround,UEFA Euro 2020,UEFA Euro 2021,Ukraine jersey,Ukraine jersey controversy,Volodymyr Zelensky,,