Former West Indies captain Jason Holder has said that the team could prepare a video message to reiterate what the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement stands for instead of just taking a knee before matches.
West Indies were one of the first two international cricket teams to have taken a knee before a match, but Holder feels that the gesture may have become a watered-down action.
« Maybe, that’s something we can do as a group. Maybe, a video collage and a video message, just to reiterate what the movement stands for and what it’s all about, » he said.
« I had a few discussions about it and I feel as though some people feel it’s now a watered-down action taken before the games. I would like to see some new initiative to spark the movement again, » Holder told ESPNCricinfo.
Holder said that the gesture of showing support to the movement should mean something in the fight against racism instead of becoming a ritual before matches.
« I don’t want people to just think we’re taking the knee because Black Lives Matter, that’s the tradition and that’s the norm. It has to have some substance, it has to have some meaning behind it, » said Holder.
Exclusive | Barbara Jarabica says Mehul Choksi flirted with her, gifted fake diamond rings, bracelets
– More Thought Should Go Into Re-Sparking Anti Racism Movement, Says Jason Holder
– Anti-racism movement in cricket needs re-sparking, re-engaging: Jason Holder
– Jason Holder suggests making anti-racism video collage: Taking a knee now a watered-down action
– West Indies vs South Africa: Kraigg Brathwaite cautions against taking Proteas lightly in Tests despite recent slump
– Jason Holder on losing Test captaincy: 'It has been a strange transition'
– WI Mull Adding Video Collage, Message to Anti-Racism Gesture
– Losing Test captaincy came as a shock, reveals Jason Holder
– Protest against racism still on WI agenda
– Sports News | Anti-racism Movement in Cricket Needs Re-sparking, Re-engaging: Jason Holder
– Was shocked during my removal from West Indies' captaincy: Pacer Jason Holder
West Indies cricket team,Jason Holder,Test cricket,Kraigg Brathwaite,South Africa national cricket team,U.S. national anthem protests,West Indies cricket team, Jason Holder, Test cricket, Kraigg Brathwaite, South Africa national cricket team, U.S. national anthem protests,,,,