Bengaluru, June 11 (PTI): Noted Kannada poet Siddalingaiah died on Friday due to COVID-19 related ailments, sources close to him said.
Popularly known as »Dalita Kavi » (Dalit Poet), he was 67. He is survived by wife, a son and a daughter.
According to the sources, he was admitted to a private hospital for over a month and had been on ventilator support for some time now.
Siddalingaiah was poet, playwright, essayist and a Dalit activist, and was one of the founders of the Dalita Sangharsh Samiti.
Several of his works have been translated into English and other languages and his Ooru Keri- an autobiography had won him the Sahitya Akademi Award.
Siddalingaiah is also a recipient of Pampa Award- the highest literary award in Kannada, presented by the State government, Nadoja Award by Hampi University and Rajyostava Award, among others.
He also chaired the 81st Kannada Sahitya Sammelana (a premier gathering of Kannada literature) held in Shravanabelagola.
He had also served as the member of the Karnataka Legislative Council and Chairman of the Kannada Development Authority, a post with Cabinet rank, and had taught Kannada at Bangalore University.
»In his death, we have lost a great writer with social concern, who strove for the upliftment of the depressed classes, » the Chief Minister said in his condolence message.
Former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda, several of Yediyurappa’s Cabinet colleagues and Leader of Opposition Siddaramaiah, JD(S) leader H D Kumaraswamy, among others, have express grief over Siddalingaiah’s death.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 91-130-6444012, 91-7027739813, 14, 15
– Renowned Kannada Dalit poet and activist Siddalingaiah no more
– Noted Kannada Dalit poet Siddalingaiah passes away
– Kannada writer, Dalit activist Siddalingaiah dies due to COVID-19
– Bengaluru: Noted Dalit poet-activist Dr Siddalingaiah passes away
– Noted Kannada poet Siddalingaiah no more
– Senior Kannada poet Dr. Siddalingaiah succumbs to COVID-19
– Who was Siddalingaiah; noted Kannada poet passes away due to COVID [details]
– Bengaluru | Poet-playwright-activist Dr Siddalingaiah passes away. CM condoles his … – Latest Tweet by ANI
Siddalingaiah,Kannada,Dalit,B. S. Yediyurappa,Bengaluru,Literature,Poet,Siddalingaiah, Kannada, Dalit, B. S. Yediyurappa, Bengaluru, Literature, Poet,,,,,,