Queensland will be on alert for at least 48 hours before it can be determined whether a Melbourne couple infected anyone in the state as they escaped the lockdown.
A test blitz is expected in regional New South Wales after a couple fled lockdown in Victoria and traveled across the state while contagious with COVID-19.
A test blitz is expected in regional New South Wales after a couple fled the lockdown in Victoria and traveled across the state while contagious with COVID-19.
Queensland has 48 hours ahead of it as it awaits the results of more coronavirus tests as the prime minister berates an infected Melbourne couple for leaving Victoria during the lockdown.
Prime Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk seemed pleased to announce that no new cases had been registered on Friday morning, after 5,953 tests were conducted on Thursday.
11,348 vaccines were also administered.
However, she warned that Queensland is unlikely to be out of the woods until Sunday.
“If it was in the community, we would have expected some community issues,” Ms Palaszczuk told reporters on Friday.
« So over the next 24 to 48 hours, we’ll be watching that closely. »
The Victorian couple escaped the lockdown and entered Queensland via NSW.
The trip has sparked a large number of exposure warnings in the two states and forced 17 close contacts into isolation.
The tests and vaccinations come after a 44-year-old woman tested positive on June 8, with her husband subsequently quarantined at Sunshine Coast University hospital. His positive test result was announced on June 10.
The woman and her husband left Victoria on June 1, four days after the entire state was shut down.
Ms Palaszczuk said the couple should have adhered to Victoria’s lockdown and not travel to Queensland.
« The police are looking into that matter, but look honestly, people have to do the right thing, » she said.
« There was a lockdown in Victoria, they shouldn’t have left Victoria, and it puts people at risk, » she said.
‘There is an investigation into that. I don’t want to jeopardize that investigation, but we want to make our country and most importantly I want to make sure we keep the Queenslander safe. »
The pair traveled by car through regional NSW and into Queensland, stopping at multiple locations along the way and eventually settling down with relatives in Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast.
The Queensland health official said the woman had had symptoms since at least June 3.
Of the couple’s 17 close contacts, three have tested negative for the virus so far, two of whom were the parents with whom the couple was staying.
#Prime #Minister #warns #crucial #hours #Qld #outbreak #infected #Melbourne #couple #crosses #border