Victorians feared the worst yesterday after a group of mysterious cases emerged, but the state posted a stunning Covid-19 result on Friday.
Victoria COVID-19 Response Commander Jeroen Weimar says the state is « starting to see increasing stability » from the outbreaks, but it’s still important for Victorians to be tested…
Victoria COVID-19 Response Commander Jeroen Weimar says the state is « starting to see increasing stability » from the outbreaks, but it is still important that Victorians are tested regularly. « It’s so, so important that we maintain that testing discipline and that we have as much information as possible, especially with these new community cases that we’ve identified, » he said. « We have a lot more work to do as a community to get to the bottom of the remaining end of these outbreaks. »
Victoria has not registered any new local cases of coronavirus as Melburnians come out of a two-week lockdown on Friday.
There are now 75 active cases and 142 exposure sites in the state.
The state posted four new local cases of coronavirus on Thursday, with the health ministry investigating the source of acquisition.
The cases—a man in his eighties, a woman in his seventies, a man in his fifties and a man in his twenties—come from the same household in Reservoir, in Melbourne’s northern suburbs.
Victorian deputy health official Allen Cheng said the first positive case recorded Wednesday night was a man in his 80s, who was tested on June 9 and received the results on Wednesday.
The other household members also tested positive on Wednesday.
« We had already tested several close contacts with these cases outside the household and they all came back negative, but will obviously remain in quarantine, » said Professor Cheng.
Test Commander Jeroen Weimar said: “I am pleased to note that one of the individuals who returned the first positive test did not become symptomatic until June 7 and was tested the day after and returned that test result yesterday.
« Their speed of action was so important for us to identify that group quickly, and that family unit also had previous tests done. »
It comes after health authorities uncovered three more overnight related to sewer detections of Covid-19.
The health department said in a statement late Thursday there were three new positive detections of coronavirus viral fragments in wastewater samples taken in the Pascoe Vale, Scoresby and Vermont areas.
Residents and recent visitors to the following suburbs between June 3 and 7 have been urged to check for symptoms and get tested if they develop:
- Glenroy, Hadfield, Oak Park, Pascoe Vale; Burwood East, Forest Hill, Glen Waverley, Scoresby, Vermont South, Wantirna South, Wheelers Hill; Balwyn, Balwyn North, Blackburn, Blackburn, North, Box Hill, Box Hill North, Bulleen, Doncaster, Doncaster East, Donvale, Mitcham, Mont Albert, Mont Albert North, Nunawading.
And on Thursday, viral fragments were discovered in a wastewater sample in Bendigo in regional Victoria where there were also no active positives.
Residents and recent visitors to suburban California Gully, Eaglehawk, Epsom, Huntly, Jackass Flat, Maiden Gully, Marong, North Bendigo and Sailors Gully between June 3 and 7 are also urged to check for symptoms and get tested like these develop.
« The wastewater testing program is designed as an early warning system and caution is always taken when these detections are found, » the health department said.
#Victoria #registering #local #cases #coronavirus